Version 3.1.7 4/18/2016
* Fixed metadata upload issues to the cloud
* Changed default block size to 20MB from 50MB
* Rplication issues
* Multi-Threaded Metadata upload support to AWS
* Updated Dokan to version .8 this will require a complete uninstall and reinstall of Dokan to work correctly.
Version 3.1.1 3/6/2016
* Fixed distributed DSE code for the 3.0 tree
* Optimized Replication now working in the 3.0 tree
* Volume block device has been ported to the 3.0 tree
* Updated script files to point to appropriate sources
* Remove orphaned symlinks
* Fixed Cache Expiring for cloud storage data retrieval
* Fixed cloud filesync
* Fixed dr restore from cloud to new local server
* Fixed crash recovery of cloud storage
* Write Performance Improvements. These performance improvements should increase write speeds by 50%-100% if your system can handle it
* Read Performance Speed Improvements. Refactored read pipeline to simplify read access. Increases speed by 20%.
* Default to TLSv1.2 for all communication
* Improved space savings on compaction. Removes individual orphaned blocks from chunks stored on disk. Not yet implemented for cloud storage because of round trip cost.
* Ported Windows code to Dokany v 0.8
* added last accessed to delay Glacier archival for frequently accessed data
Version 3.0.4 12/17/2015
* Fixed xml commandline parsing in mount.sdfs script
* Replaced Oracle JRE with Zulu Openjdk jre
* Hashtable inserts are now multi-threaded. Inserts were blocking to wait for previous chunk writes. New behavior is to write block and then insert into table.
* Volume recovery now working properly. Was not grabbing hashmaps properly from cloud providers.
* Cloud storage libs overlap for Joda
* Included export encryption libs
* Compaction of hashmaps now working properly
Version 3.0.1 11/30/2015
* Fixed JNI hook to fuse referencing object after garbage collection. Now references a long
* Many fixes since this was a major update of the underlying storage layer and metadata system.
*This is a major new release of SDFS with a rewrite of the storage subsystem. This release includes enhancements to the following elements
Cloud Storage Enhancements :
* In-Line deduplication to a Cloud Storage Backend - SDFS can send all of its data to AWS, AZURE, or Google.
* Performance Improvements - Compressed Multi-Threaded upload and download of data to the cloud
* Local Cache - SDFS will cache the most recently accessed data locally. This is configurable but set to 10 GB by Default
* Security - All data can be encrypted using AES-CBC 256 when sent to the cloud
* Throttling - Upload and download speeds can be throttled.
* Cloud Recovery/Replication - All local metadata is replicated to the cloud and can be recovered back to local volume.
* Glacier Support - Supports S3 Lifecycle policies and retrieving data from Glacier
* AWS Region Support - Supports all AWS Regions
* Amazon AIM Support
* Tested to over 100TB of backend storage.
* Requires only 400MB of memory per TB of unique storage
* Unlimited Snapshots
* No compaction necessary sing orphaned data physically removed from underlying filesystem after garbage collection.
General Enhancements :
* Mounts from fstab and using native linux mount commands (mount -t sdfs)
* Faster Volume Replication
* Local Encryption support - Uses AES-CBC 256
* Faster Garbage Collection - 300% improvement
Version 2.0.11 3/8/2015
* Fixed copy of files with non-english characters
* Fixed JNI hook to fuse referencing non-existent objects.
* Fixed replication service failures when replication occurs during garbage collection process
* Fixed org.opendedup.collections.ProgessiveFileBasedCSMap to use maximum write thread for bloomfilter recreation process
* Fixed volume state shown and unclean after unmount.
* Updated shared libs to latest compatible versions.
* Added org.opendedup.collections.ProgessiveFileBasedCSMap as default unique block hash table. This hashtable scales extremely well under load and large volume sets.
Version 2.0.9 1/21/2015
* Fixed Block Chunk Store errors when writing with variable block deduplication.
* Garbage collection now done using new method that will increase performance
* Cloud Storage bucket location can now be defined using --aws-bucket-location
Version 2.0.8 12/28/2014
Version 2.0.8 includes some changes to metadata. Please verify with previous installation in lab environment before upgrading.
* Fixed More Replication Symlink issues.
* Fixed random deadlock under high load
* Nested Snapshots looping
* Fixed odvol mapping files and releasing them. This cause a hang during creation and subsequent restarts
* Added more replication resilience
Version 2.0.2 7/14/2014
* Fixed More Symlink issues.
* Fixed random IO corruption under high load
* Fixed concurrent file read and delete issues
* Fixed libfuse.so issue where Native library was used over custom library.
* Improved read/write performance by 20%-50%
Version 2.0.1 6/10/2014
* Fixed Replication Reporting of progress by bytes transferred.
* Fixed Symlink issues when file does not exist.
* Fixed Symlink permissions
* Fixed Clustered DSE buffersize mismatch issue.
* Update the Guava library to 1.7 release.
Version 2.0.0 4/19/2014
* Fixed Replication Action opening to many ports.
* Fixed Temp files not deleting during replication.
* Update the Guava library to 1.6 release.
* Added Beta Hashmap for faster hashtable lookups and storage. This hashmap, MaxFileBasedCSMap, uses a bloomfilter and bitmap to speed up lookups within the hashtable. It will also require less resident memory that the current implementation. To use this hashmap add the option --chunk-store-hashdb class="org.opendedup.collections.MaxFileBasedCSMap"
Version 2.0.0-RC2 3/27/2014
* Fixed Redhat/Centos 6.5 Library dependency issue
* Fixed write failures due to slow disk subsystem. This issue only effects Variable Block Deduplication
* Fixed slow performance for large volumes due to the impact of bitmap scans for every put
* Fixed sync error loop in FileStore
* Fixed replication script to point to updated libraries.
* Fixed Rabin hashing memory allocation performance issue.
Version 2.0.0-RC1 3/17/2014
* Fixed VARIABLE_MURMUR3 command line issue.
* Fixed Disk full reporting for block device.
* Fixed Missing library from replication
* Fixed Azure Cloud Storage DSE to conform to 2.0 framework. Azure now uses LZ4 compression
* recompiled fuse, java fuse, buse, and java buse c libs.
* Added event alerting when disk full
* Added event alerting when read and write errors
* Added required fuse library to distribution /bin directory so SDFS no longer requires update of fuse libs.
* Updated required java jar libraries to later versions
Version 2.0.0-Beta 5 3/3/2014
* Variable block deduplication. Rabin Windowing used to create variable block chunks for storage. Currently this method only works for local storage and cloud storage. It will not work for clustered dse configuration. To enable this feature use mkfs.sdfs --hash-type=VARIABLE_MURMUR3
* Variable block compression. LZ4 is now used for all variable block compression
* Improved cloud storage performance for aws. Using variable block storage perfomance improves by 2x.
* Better block storage reporting sdfs.cli now will report on compressed blocks and actual blocks stored.
Version 2.0.0-Beta 3 1/21/2014
* Fixed reclaim for file based chunkstore
* Include basic structure for variable based deduplication. Beta 4 will include basic support for variable block deduplication.
Version 2.0.0-Beta 2 1/13/2014
* Fixed garbage various collection issues for volumes over 8TB
* Fixed replication copies issue.
* Added virtual volume manager. Opendedup can now run as a virual block device and dedup any filesystem on top of it. Opendedup has tested, EXT4, btrfs, and OCFS2 for validation and QA. All perform and function as if they are running on block device. Take a look at odvol.make odvol.start odvol.cli for more details. There is also a quickstart guide at http://www.opendedup.org/quickstart-guide-for-opendedup-volume-manager-20
* Improved read performance. There are various improvements to read performance that can increase read speeds by up to 20% based on benchmark testing performed.
Version 2.0.0-Beta 1 12/9/2013
* This version is not backwards compatible with older versions because of design changes for clustering
* Refactored Cluster DSE Support with major new features, these include.
* SDFS High Availability : All block data can is replicated across up to 7 Block Storage nodes (2 by default).
* Global Deduplication across all SDFS volumes in a cluster
* Block Storage Node dynamically expandable to up to 126 independent storage pools
* Very low Intra-Cluster network IO since only globally unique blocks are written
* Refactored filesystem Sync action
* Refactored XML configuration
* Refactored Replication :Now all traffice is encrypted over a single SSL port (6442)
Version 1.2.4 3/26/2013
* Made org.opendedup.collections.CSByteArrayLongMap the default hashtable. This will provide backward capatibility for volumes older that 1.2 .
Version 1.2.3 3/25/2013
* Fixed Unique block deletion for filebasedchunkstore
* Fixed volume freezing due to thread deadlock. Presented during rsync
* Fixed Azure bucket name not being honored.
* 40% Read performance improvement under NFS through better locking techniques and file caching
* Better file level locking under concurrent IO should allow for lower latency multi write to the same file
* Added block caching for the S3,Azure, and FileChunkStore and defaults to 10MB. This should improve performance for multiple writes. This option can be configured during volume creation using the --chunk-store-read-cache option.
* Replaced the version of java that ships with SDFS.
Version 1.2.1 1/26/2013
* Free space calculation was causing problems with new volumes in 1.2.0 not being able to be more than .95 full.
* Changed syncthread within hashstore to flush to filesystem based on OS parameters. This should reduce CPU utilization by 15%.
Version 1.2.0 1/21/2013
* Memory leak during high utilization on slow disk
* Deadlock under high concurrency when snapshot systems
* Snappy compression error within replication process and FileBasedChunkStore
* FileBasedChunkStore issues have been addressed
* Garbage collection performance within hashtables was not collecting duplicated chunks if there were two blocks with stored in the chunkstore.
* PFull garbage collection was calculating next run incorrectly
* Fixes to allow for Windows port of SDFS to run with 1.2.0
* Will disallow write access on volumes over 95% full
* Fixed replication status output.
* Better Performance with default parameters. By default SDFS will use the murmur3 hashing for all new volumes.
* Default volume write block when volume is 95% full.
* New Volumes will by default report dse capacity as volume capacity and current size.
* SSL transport is now used by new volumes for DSE block transfer/replication traffic. To see if the master dse is using ssl run sdfscli --password xxx --dse-info. Look at the output of option "DSE Listen SSL". This defualts to true for all new volumes.
* Added the replication.properties option replication.master.useSSL. If set to true SSL will be used by the slave when connecting to the master dse port. By default this option is set to false.
* Enhanced performance monitoring can be enabled from the sdfscli --perfmon-on = true
* Changed SDFS java start parameters to "-XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+UseParallelOldGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:InitialSurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -Djava.awt.headless=true"
* Added scheduled GC that will run every night at 23:59.
Version 1.1.9 12/10/2012
* Fixed concurrency issue that caused error under high IO.
* Fixed erroneous errors during compaction on volumes where replication is enabled
* Fixed S3 errors during volume creation
* Added replication command line status output
* Added status output for all post mount commands
* Added experimental file based chunk store that adds all unique chunks as individual files instead of to one big file. the file based chunk store also allows for compression and encryption. To enable this chunkstore use "--chunkstore-class=org.opendedup.sdfs.filestore.FileBasedChunkStore" during mkfs.sdfs. Compression, if enabled, uses Snappy (http://code.google.com/p/snappy/). To enable compression use --chunk-store-compress="true".
* Added experimental support for file based hash table. This hash table requires less memory and mounts faster at the expense of read and write speed. It uses mapped files to store hash keys. To enable this hashstore use "--chunk-store-hashdb-class=org.opendedup.collections.FileBasedCSMap" during mkfs.sdfs. * Changes mkfs.sdfs syntax from --cloud-compress to --chunk-store-compress.
Version 1.1.8 8/24/2012
* Fixed critical issue with replication of folders with special or non-english characters
* Fixed reporting of deduplication rate and capacity for replication on a file basis.
* Added ability to replicate individual files.
* Added ability to change replication batch size with parameter "replication.batchsize" within the replication properties file
* Added parameter replication.master.dataport to the replication properties file
* Replication master information no longer needs to be set when volume is create on the slave. The replication master information is now set within the replication properties file. This means the slave can now replicate from multiple masters.
* Added replication.copies paramenter to allow a maximum number of replication copies kept on the slave. This will use First In First Out. It must be used in combination with the replication.slave.folder option %d. If set to -1 it is ignored
Version 1.1.7 8/8/2012
* Critical issue with linux MV command
* Snappy compression is used for replication
* Increased replication buffer
Version 1.1.6 7/22/2012
* Cloud Storage increments length correctly now.
* Fixed Symlink issues * Was exiting on NullPointerException for replication rollback
* Force Compact (--forcecompact) option typo fixed
* Refactored cloud storage options. Changed all cloud provider specific options to generic options "cloud-access-key,cloud-bucket-name,cloud-compress,cloud-secret-key"
* Changed CSByteArrayLongMap claimed array from byte array to bitmap
* Added Murmur3 hash at a an option for hashing keys
* Changed hash-length mkfs option to hash-type. This option has to possible values tiger16|tiger24|murmur3_128. Murmur has is a newer hashing computation that can improve IO performance by as much as 40%.You cannot change the hash on an existing volume.
* Added azure as a cloud storage provider.
* Added progress bar to loading, DSE Compaction, and Consistancy Check
* Added attribute to volume tag within xml configuration "allow-external-links" that allows/disallows symlinks from external filesystems. By default this is set to true.
* Improved getattr performance. Removed file.list for folder size and redundant lookups if it is a folder/file
Version 1.1.5 6/6/2012
* Replication null pointer error for files without data
* Replication adds guid to end out target folder
* Create volume --sdfscli-requre-auth was a typo should have been --sdfscli-require-auth
* Snapshots were not working when safeclose=false
* SDFS Volume no longer exits if unable to connect to upstream host
* Create Volumes with decimal capacity sizes
* DSE Size was not reporting correctly on remount
* Garbage Collection was to clearing out old data on first run after remount
* Added experimental compaction feature "-c" and the "-forcecompact" to mount options to compact a volume on mount.
Version 1.1.3 5/22/2012
* cp -a no longer creates corrupt files
* files close properly when safeclose enabled without error
* Lots of other small fixes in code
* SDFS Garbage Collection improvements
* Snapshot performance improvements
Version 1.1.2 11/18/2011
* Consistancy Checker fixed for recovery of corrupt blocks
* Garbage Collection fixed for garbage collection during high io
* Added sdfscli notification for file system events
* Added periodic flush of all buffers for open files
Version 1.1.0 9/21/2011
* More graceful removal of garbage collected blocks
* SDFS Volume Replication
* Better S3 Support. Multi-Threaded Transport
Version 1.0.9 9/3/2011
* Mapped Files now being cleaned up when deleted as part of parent folder
* Garbage Collection now occurs on 10% increments.
* SDFSCli new commands "expandvolume","mkdir" and "delete-file"
* SDFSCli authentication option added
* NFS Performance Improvements.
Version 1.0.8 8/6/2011
* Windows Not Deleting files
* Update JDokan Lib for better compliance with Dokan 6.0 and Performance
Version 1.0.7 7/7/2011
* Log files now roll after 10MB
* Windows Class path wrong
* SDFS S3 Storage was not working correctly
* Logging too verbose for write buffers
* Added sdfscli to Linux package
* Ability to config debug logging within the sdfs config set log-level to 0
* Periodically persist (every 30 seconds) volume config to /etc/sdfs.
* Added Google Storage as a target for cloud based DSE(dedupe data).
Version 1.0.6 5/31/2011
* Fixed corruption issue where files were not closing properly when safeclose was set to false.
* Fixed HashStore not closing properly on shutdown
* Fixed Garbage Collection of files not being claimed properly in some cases
* Recompiled the java fuse library for latest java build
* Added latest java build to the library (b144)
* Fixed exit value on mount.sdfs error exit
* Fixed sdfs.log location to /var/log/sdfs.log
* Fixed java hangs on umount
Version 1.0.5 5/23/2011
* Fixed garbage collection on large files. Files over 500GB were not being claimed correctly because of the use of 32 bit integers.
* Fixed for newest version of Java 7. Please update your java to the latest version to use this file.
* SDFS now logs to files located in
* Added new Garbage Collection Framework. Threshold GC - Garbage Collection runs when DSE grows by a 10% step. This GC trades off better performance for higher realtime storage utilization. To enable this GC edit the local-chunkstore tag within the volume config and modify/add the attribute gc-name="org.opendedup.sdfs.filestore.gc.PFullGC".
* Added mkfs.sdfs commandline parameter gc-class. This can be used to set the garbage collection strategy at volume creation. The current option for this is org.opendedup.sdfs.filestore.gc.PFullGC.
* Added output to sdfscli --dse-info parameter called "DSE Percent Full". This calculates the percentage full for the dse.
* Changed mkfs.sdfs commandline attribute --chunk-store-size to take MB/GB/TB e.g. --chunk-store-size=100GB
* Optimize file option no longer takes a length.
* Faster throughput through better threading
Version 1.0.1 11/28/2010
* Snapshots were not functioning correctly
* Volume creation to did not correctly report volume sizes
* Memory utilization with lots of unclaimed hashes in the DSE
* Garbage collection on sparse files was broken.
* Near IO line speed performance at 4k block sizes
* better threading and locking contention
* Faster tiger hashing
* Lowered memory requirements by 1/3 for new volumes and new DSE. Memory requirements for DSE Was 33 bytes for each unique hash and is 23 now.
Version 1.0.0 11/8/2010
* Volume Capacity configuration did not get set appropriately when TB was set as unit for capacity.
* Windows : Added SDFS system variable.
* Performance : Changed memory allocation for write buffers and threads per volume. This should increase performance by about 10% for newer volumes
* Performance : NFS performance should be on par between safeclose="true" and safeclose="false"
* Performance : Some slight memory enhancements.
Version 0.9.7 9/21/2010
* SDFSCli : fixed command line for dedup-all. It was not parsing correctly
* SDFSCli : fixed dedup rate % calculation to accurately represent actual dedup rates.
* SDFSCli : fixed snapshot command to correctly reflect snapshot destination.
* IO : Changed IO for file reads and writes. Should reduce memory requirements without reduced performance.
* SDFSCli : Added command to clear old data manually from the SDFS Volume
* Garbage Collection : Garbage collection plays nicely and does not take up a lot of IO when performed.
* Volume : Added "maximum-percentage-full" option to sdfs configuration xml file. This will allow volumes to define the maximum size of a volume for writes. to set it to 100% of the volume capacity set maximum-percentage-full="100". The attribute itself goes into the <volume> tag. e.g. <volume maximum-percentage-full="200" [other options].... />. It it set to a "-1" it will be ignored.
Version 0.9.6 9/20/2010
This versions focuses on fixes to Windows port of SDFS and memory utilization.
* Windows : Error when deleting files has been fixed
* Better memory utilization. Changes to file maps should allow for better memory utilization for larger files.
* Files can now be an unlimited size. Files used to be limited to approximately 250GB in size. This has been expanded to the size allotted by the underlying file system.
* New Command Line Interface for getting file statistics and creating snapshots. Command line help is available using sdfscli --help.
Version 0.9.5 9/12/2010
This version focuses on porting SDFS to Windows. SDFS can now be mounted on Windows (tested with Windows 7). Dokan and Java 7(32 bit) are required for Windows Support. Windows support is experimental and not well tested. All features should work the same own Windows as they do on Linux except for permissions and symlinks. SDFS on Windows currently has no permissions.
* Windows 32bit Support
* New Command Line Interface for getting file statistics and creating snapshots. Command line help is available using sdfscli --help.
Version 0.9.4 8/29/2010
This version focuses on enabling cloud based storage deduplication. The storage backend for the dedup storage engine has been rewritten to allow for cloud storage. Amazon S3 is the first storage provider that has been added but others will be added as requested. Basically alldata will be stored to the cloud storage provider and meta-data will sit on the local filesystem where the SDFS volume was mounted from.
* Amazon S3 Storage enabled. This will allow users to store unique chunks to an S3 backend.
* AES 256 bit Encryption of data to cloud dedup storage engine.
* Compression for S3 cloud storage.
* Improved read performance through caching requests.
Version 0.9.3 8/15/2010
* Fixed Verbose Logging. All logging is not outputted to log4j.
* Fixed Nonempry dirs deleted by rmdir
* Fixed extended attributes and dedupAll bit not being read from file meta-data
Version 0.9.2 5/2/2010
* Major Bug Fixed that removed data after time through garbage collection. All users should update to this release immediately.
* Minor issue with copying attributes.
Version 0.9.1 4/24/2010
Bug fixes and performance enhancements identified during testing on LVM volumes and NFS.
* Getting extended attributes that do not exist not exits as expected. This fix was needed for mounting of NFS mounted volumes
* Caching of permissions improves performance for NFS writes.
Version 0.9.0 4/18/2010
First Release of the 0.9.x tree. 0.9 will focus primarily of Volume Replication and bug fixes. SDFS has introduced a new data scheme for file system meta data. This new scheme is not compatible with older volumes. If you would like to migrate to the newer volume structure you will need to copy data directly to a new SDFS volume. The DSE data structure is the same. Future versions will all be backwards compatible.
* Data Storage Issue within DSE: The DSE would only store 75% of the allocation size. This has been fixed and the DSE will now be able to be fully allocated.
* Infinite Loop with Gabage Collection: There is an error within the Trove4J library used by the DSE that cause an infinite loop. A work around is in place that should help avoid the issue.
* Possible infinite loop with DSE: There was an outlier condition found that cause the data storeage routine to hit an infinite loop.
* Volumes not cleanly unmounted: A volume in not unmounted always when the application is killed.
* ACLs for Directories and Symlinks: The mode was not being set correctly for directories and symlinks inheriting the permissions from the linked file
* The data structure for file meta data has been changed to support volume replication and better performance for storing small files. This change breaks compatibility with previous versions for SDFS. This is a one time change. Future versions will all be backwards compatible.
* Data Storage Performance has been increased by approximately 15% due to various DSE enhancements.
* Better performance for file level snapshots.
* Enables volume replication through rsync of volume namespace. DSE replication will be coming in later 0.9.x versions.
Version 0.8.15 4/12/2010
This release focuses on enhancements and bug fixes found during scalability testing.
* Symlink permission issues. Permissions were inherited from linked file. They are now independent. This is consistent with native fs behaviors.
* Fixed artificial limit found for hash tables. It is now possible to create volumes larger than 1TB at 4k chunk size.
* Memory allocation fix. 1.6 GB memory was reclaimed. It is now possible to run small volumes of SDFS in under 100mb of RAM.
* Minor ehancements that in total should increase performance by around 10%.
* Added warning and throws exception when the DSE is full. This is the first of many enhancements to come in this area.
Version 0.8.14 4/4/2010
This release was focused on bug fixes and enhancements related to performance testing. Take a look at
http://opendedup.org/index.php/perfmon for more details on performance metrics.
* File permissions when folders are created is now set properly
* Fixed issue where SDFS kept file maps open even when files were closed
* Last Modified for files are now being set correctly, when the file is written too.
* Deleting of directories works correctly. When rmdir is called it will remove all children
* When files are deleted that are removed from the file map table. This was not the case in previous versions.
* Performance tuning for reading with larger chunk sizes (64k,128k). The previous default for volume creation
required the read-ahead was set to "8". This is not efficient for large block sizes and has been fixed to and
set to "1" if the block size is greater that 32k.